Clutch Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ETQW vs. Windows 8 (spoiler: Win8 pwns!)

3 posters

Go down

ETQW vs. Windows 8 (spoiler: Win8 pwns!) Empty ETQW vs. Windows 8 (spoiler: Win8 pwns!)

Post  G4RB4G3 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Well, after a grueling day, the deed is finally done.

Windows 8 (64-bit of course) is loaded, and all is well. Including ETQW!

I'll spare you the Win7 -> Win8 comments, but rest assured I spent the better part of 2 hours making Win8 more like Win7. Very Happy I actually installed a silly "Start" menu button, and later removed it after learning all of the JEDI powers Win8 has to offer (shortcuts).

The trickiest part, as some of you may have surmised, was getting ETQW and more importantly PunkBuster, to work properly.

The obvious bit was I had to update ETQW (fresh install was old code) and also update PB (since it can't update itself). I got the PB files from ads913 (Thanks bro!) but if you need them, just PM me and I'll hook you up.

The hard bit was figuring out why, after fixing the PB files, it still kept kicking me. I did pb_security 0 a zillion times...

The next bit of reading on some gaming forums was to make PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe run in Win7 compatibility mode. This bit seemed important (after all, my VMware VIC client wouldn't even install until I put the installer .exe into Win7 compat mode!!) but didn't help for PunkBuster... *sigh*

Then I looked in services.msc and discovered something amazing. PunkBuster's "service" pointed to C:\Windows\System32\pnkbstra.exe. But the file wasn't there. It was in C:\Windows\WOW64\. So I copied the file into the System32\ folder, and also set the new copy with Win7 compat mode.

THIS WORKED!!

I was able to join and play all night, in fact. No problems!!

Now if I could just figure out my perfect sensitivity settings again.. *sigh* I had made a backup of my bindings but not my config... DOH! Oh well..

Maybe now is a good time to try DeathKamp's config... or maybe not.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Anyways, I wanted to share in case anyone else wants to make the jump to Win8. It DOES work! Very Happy

Cya!!
G4RB4G3
G4RB4G3
Admin

https://clutchclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

ETQW vs. Windows 8 (spoiler: Win8 pwns!) Empty Re: ETQW vs. Windows 8 (spoiler: Win8 pwns!)

Post  Loki. Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

cool you got it working..

(personally, W8 nothing more then a tablet OS.. so i'll stick with W7 Smile )

but again, glad you got it up and running.. even if it took you Hours to do it.. (cough)

Loki.

Back to top Go down

ETQW vs. Windows 8 (spoiler: Win8 pwns!) Empty Re: ETQW vs. Windows 8 (spoiler: Win8 pwns!)

Post  G4RB4G3 Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Why does everyone hate on Windows 8? Did RT and Surface really skew things that much? It has very little to do with Tablets..

IMHO, after playing extensively with the Previews over last year, and also with the release in VM and now as my main Desktop OS... It is the EXACT SAME THING as Windows 7. It has some bugfixes as well. It also has a Metro UI "for tablets" which is easily disabled. And actually I find it to be pretty useful for my Desktop too.

Yes it has some quirks, but all OSs do. Even the coveted Windows 7 Ultimate.

IMHO there is absolutely no disadvantage to running Windows 8 at this point. It is nearly identical, can run anything Win7 could, and has a lot of neat stuff built in now - like auto-mounting of ISOs, keyboard shortcuts, and live tiles - to name a few..

And it took me "hours" only because I had to re-install a number of apps, including Office 2013, Visio, VMware stuff, VPN utils, multiple browsers, etc.. The Pnkbstr stuff did throw me for a loop, but as you can see above, it was not insurmountable.

Overall, I'm very happy...
G4RB4G3
G4RB4G3
Admin

https://clutchclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathkamp Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 am

Well that's all well and good, but I have to agree with Loki on this W7 is still for me. I have 2 tablets and one of them already has W8 and that's more than enough W8 for me.

If you want to try my cfg go ahead, but i'm not quite sure what mouse or DPI settings you have so I can't really help with your sensitivity. However, a good base would be if you can turn 180 around on your mouse pas in either direction would be a good place to start. And i'd change it from my cfg because mine is insanely high. Questions or stuff about it let me know

Deathkamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum